Waitrose egg recall on lead fears
Old Codger
2008-05-11 11:36:31 UTC
Waitrose egg recall on lead fears
Supermarket chain Waitrose has recalled some organic eggs after a
flock of its chickens consumed lead shot.

Organic Columbian Blacktail free range eggs - traced to a single farm
- are being withdrawn but Waitrose's other organic eggs remain on
sale.

It said only eggs with shells stamped with farm code OUK 20137 were
affected.

Waitrose said the contamination was thought to have been caused by
shot from a nearby clay pigeon shoot getting into the farm's free
range enclosure.

'Fully traceable'

The firm said the recall applied to all date codes up to and including
21 May.

"Waitrose took action as soon as we knew about this situation," it
said.

"All our eggs are fully traceable back to their farm source, which is
stamped as a code on each egg.

"Customers are advised to take any affected eggs back to their local
branch for a full refund. We apologise for any inconvenience."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/7393600.stm

Published: 2008/05/10 07:12:27 GMT
tpow
2008-05-11 12:02:20 UTC
the old clay chicken shoot gets the blame again...........

it wont be long before they close that one down now............

Waitrose could always give the eggs to the clay shoot then they could have,

1. The Springing Egg.
2. High Egg
3. Driven Egg
4. Lopping Egg
5. Crossing Egg
6. Bolting Egg
7. Double Egg Trap (and chips)
8. Down The Egg Line (in one)
9. Egg Skeet.
Old Codger
tpow
2008-05-11 12:23:31 UTC
Post by tpow
Post by Old Codger
[...]
also the club would not have to shell out for clays and it would be eggco
friendly disposal......and that's no yoke.
Old Codger
2008-05-11 12:30:23 UTC
Post by tpow
Post by tpow
Post by Old Codger
[...]
That's the pits and terrible double entendre of the highest eggxtreme.
I quit!
tpow
don't eggzit yet, there's more to come............
Old Codger
I shell not.
moghouse
2008-05-11 12:58:37 UTC
.
Post by Old Codger
That's the pits and terrible double entendre of the highest eggxtreme.
I quit!
Is that a promise?

I always say all this "organic food" is dangerous - give me a good old
battery egg everytime!

Mind you, on reflection, when I was a lad we frequently ate pheasant,
partridge and rabbit from the farm, that had been shot and we usually
found some lead shot in our meat - but none of us ever got lead
poisoning. 'Course nowadays you are all a bunch of organic softies.

Moghouse
Old Codger
2008-05-11 15:13:47 UTC
On Sun, 11 May 2008 05:58:37 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
Post by moghouse
.
Post by Old Codger
That's the pits and terrible double entendre of the highest eggxtreme.
I quit!
Is that a promise?
I always say all this "organic food" is dangerous - give me a good old
battery egg everytime!
Mind you, on reflection, when I was a lad we frequently ate pheasant,
partridge and rabbit from the farm, that had been shot and we usually
found some lead shot in our meat - but none of us ever got lead
poisoning. 'Course nowadays you are all a bunch of organic softies.
You wouldn't know yourself what you had got. All that would happen is
you could exhibit strange behavior as the toxins took effect. Ergo you
obviously have!

Big difference between ingesting lead and it being absorbed over time,
and being shot with it.
moghouse
2008-05-11 16:32:09 UTC
Post by moghouse
.
Post by Old Codger
That's the pits and terrible double entendre of the highest eggxtreme.
I quit!
Is that a promise?
I always say all this "organic food" is dangerous - give me a good old
battery egg everytime!
Mind you, on reflection, when I was a lad we frequently ate pheasant,
partridge and rabbit from the farm, that had been shot and we usually
found some lead shot in our meat - but none of us ever got lead
poisoning. 'Course nowadays you are all a bunch of organic softies.
You wouldn't know yourself what you had got. All that would happen is
you could exhibit strange behavior as the toxins took effect. Ergo you
obviously have!
Big difference between ingesting lead and it being absorbed over time,
and being shot with it.
You tell the birds that.

Thank you for your diagnosis, after all you are the acknowleded expert
in strange behaviour.
Old Codger
2008-05-11 18:12:58 UTC
Post by moghouse
.
Post by Old Codger
That's the pits and terrible double entendre of the highest eggxtreme.
I quit!
Is that a promise?
I always say all this "organic food" is dangerous - give me a good old
battery egg everytime!
Mind you, on reflection, when I was a lad we frequently ate pheasant,
partridge and rabbit from the farm, that had been shot and we usually
found some lead shot in our meat - but none of us ever got lead
poisoning. 'Course nowadays you are all a bunch of organic softies.
You wouldn't know yourself what you had got. All that would happen is
you could exhibit strange behavior as the toxins took effect. Ergo you
obviously have!
Big difference between ingesting lead and it being absorbed over time,
and being shot with it.
You tell the birds that.
The birds don't have a choice. Some dickhead shoots them at a range
that cannot miss and that's it. The birds have no say in it.
Post by moghouse
Thank you for your diagnosis, after all you are the acknowleded expert
in strange behaviour.
Not an expert but the signs are easy to spot.